Thursday, October 20, 2016

JDL and Thor Talk Nintendo Switch



Thor: The NX (Switch) looks awesome, I can't wait to try it out!

JDL: Hell yes, I'll be getting that for damn sure.

Thor: I want it now. They really planned for all eventualities with it: So many possible play scenarios, multiple kinds of controllers, I would bet it's still gonna be compatible with some of the Wii/Wii U controllers as well.

JDL: That'd be sweet! Hopefully, it plays Wii U games too. I missed a lot of titles and there's still a lot I have to catch up on.

Thor: I don't think it's going to be backwards compatible with discs. Maybe downloadable games?

My biggest concern is battery life. Each of those side controllers and the tablet itself have to have batteries. They probably have a battery in that connector controller as well for enhanced battery life. But if those little things on the sides don't get more than a few hours on their own, I can forsee problems.

There's also the question of removable or built in. Built in would allow it to be thinner and lighter, but then when the battery dies, you lose a controller. Also, do the side controllers pull battery life from the tablet? Lots of questions, like compatibility with previous systems, either 3ds or Wii U (probably through download).

JDL: Didn't even think about 3DS. Like linking it up to play through the TV or just cross play versus other systems?

Thor: Well, it has a cartridge slot, so maybe DS/3DS will still work? The carts look shallower though. I'm assuming the tablet is 720p and will probably upscale to 1080p on TVs. I wonder if the dock has any additional processor power?

I was thinking about that when I saw the image (and before I saw the video), like "Does the tablet holder do anything? Is that the actual console or is it the tablet?"

Tablet has to have the majority of the tech. WiFi, Bluetooth, storage and processor. Dock probably has additional USB ports, ethernet connection. Looking at a picture of the joycon, it definitely has battery indicators. Tablet has to have somewhere for additional storage as well: SD or micro sd slot for things like DLC and updates.

JDL: Interchangeable cards would be great for potentially unlimited data and downloads and would be much easier than swapping out whole memory devices and hard drives.

Thor: Assuming there's extra space on the game carts for updates. That's never been done, so far. Every update on a 3DS goes to the SD card.

JDL: I just rewatched the video for it again. I can't tell anything about card depth from it or if it features people swapping out memory cards, sd cards or anything memory related.

Thor: There's a still image floating around of the video. Probably a bit off because it's on an angle so I can't be sure, but the contacts seem to go further up the back of the card than 3DS ones do. Though that could also be a way to prevent these cards from being read in a 3DS, potentially damaging them or the system. Sort of like how the tops of the GBA and 3DS cards are designed to prevent you from putting them into a GBC or DS, respectably.

JDL: Well, worst case scenario, the Switch is still shown to play gorgeous looking games. I just hope they sell cases that actually protect the tablet. Like:Apocalypse-Proof Protection, so I don't break mine sitting down or something (EDIT: yes, that is exactly how rough I am).

Thor: And I'll buy Zelda: BOtW on both Wii U and Switch. 'Cause Zelda.

(EDIT: Another co-writer has confirmed that backwards compatibility won't be available at launch! Oh well, we're still excited for the Switch!)

No comments:

Post a Comment